The Metabolic Diseases Research Unit conducts research projects on diabetes. The different research projects carried out focus on type 1 diabetes and cystic fibrosis related diabetes. Some of our projects also address type 2 diabetes.
Type 1 diabetes accounts for approximately 10% of all cases and is usually diagnosed during childhood. Type 1 diabetes is generally treated by intensive insulin therapy using multiple daily injections or continuous subcutaneous insulin infusion pump. Despite available treatments, more than 60% of patients with type 1 diabetes do not achieve recommended glycemic (blood sugar) targets. Wide variations in sugar concentrations are observed and can lead to serious complications due to hyperglycemia (high blood sugar: damage to eyes, kidney and nerves) and hypoglycemia (low blood sugar: malaise and loss of consciousness).
The life expectancy of people with cystic fibrosis improves regularly. New major complications, such as cystic fibrosis related diabetes (high blood glucose levels), have emerged. The causes of cystic fibrosis related diabetes are not well established. The laboratory is attempting to shed light on the mechanisms involved in the development of cystic fibrosis related diabetes as well as on the association between high blood glucose levels and changes in weight and pulmonary function. The team also study various strategies to prevent or delay the development of cystic fibrosis related diabetes and its complications.
- Director, Metabolic Diseases research unit
- Director, Diabetes Clinic
- Director, research platform on obesity, metabolism and diabetes
- Full IRCM Research Professor
- Geographical full time associate professor, Department of Nutrition, Faculté de médecine, Université de Montréal
- Physician, Endocrinology Division, Medicine Department, CHUM
- Associate researcher, CHUM Research Centre
- Adjunct Professor, Department of Medicine (Division of Experimental Medicine), McGill University
- Holder of the J.A. DeSève Chair in clinical research
Awards and honours
- 2017 Research Award, from the FMSQ (Fédération des médecins spécialistes du Québec)
- 2015 IMS BROGAN Award, from the FMSQ (Fédération des médecins spécialistes du Québec)
- Three awards for excellence in teaching (2012, 2013-2014), Université de Montréal
- 2012 Pierre-Bois Excellence Award, IRCM Foundation
- 2010 Young Investigator Award, Canadian Society of Endocrinology and Metabolism
Projects and major discoveries
Development of an external artificial pancreas
Type 1 diabetes and exercise: strategies to reduce hypoglycemia
Caracterization of patients with type 1 diabetes and the metabolic syndrome
Cystic fibrosis related diabetes
Haidar A, Legault L, Raffray M, Gouchie-Provencher N, Jacobs PG, El-Fathi A, Rutkowski J, Messier V, Rabasa-Lhoret R, Comparison Between Closed-Loop Insulin Delivery System (the Artificial Pancreas) and Sensor-Augmented Pump Therapy: A Randomized-Controlled Crossover Trial. - Diabetes Technology & Therapeutics 2020 Dec 31
Potter KJ, Boudreau V, Shohoudi A, Mailhot M, Tremblay F, Lavoie A, Carricart M, Senior PA, Rabasa-Lhoret R, Influence of pre-diabetic and pancreatic exocrine states on pulmonary and nutritional status in adults with Cystic Fibrosis. - Journal Of Cystic Fibrosis : Official Journal Of The European Cystic Fibrosis Society 2020 Dec 19
Moser O, Riddell MC, Eckstein ML, Adolfsson P, Rabasa-Lhoret R, van den Boom L, Gillard P, Nørgaard K, Oliver NS, Zaharieva DP, Battelino T, de Beaufort C, Bergenstal RM, Buckingham B, Cengiz E, Deeb A, Heise T, Heller S, Kowalski AJ, Leelarathna L, Mathieu C, Stettler C, Tauschmann M, Thabit H, Wilmot EG, Sourij H, Smart CE, Jacobs PG, Bracken RM, Mader JK, Glucose management for exercise using continuous glucose monitoring (CGM) and intermittently scanned CGM (isCGM) systems in type 1 diabetes: position statement of the European Association for the Study of Diabetes (EASD) and of the International Society for Pediatric and Adolescent Diabetes (ISPAD) endorsed by JDRF and supported by the American Diabetes Association (ADA). - Pediatric Diabetes 2020 Dec
Moser O, Riddell MC, Eckstein ML, Adolfsson P, Rabasa-Lhoret R, van den Boom L, Gillard P, Nørgaard K, Oliver NS, Zaharieva DP, Battelino T, de Beaufort C, Bergenstal RM, Buckingham B, Cengiz E, Deeb A, Heise T, Heller S, Kowalski AJ, Leelarathna L, Mathieu C, Stettler C, Tauschmann M, Thabit H, Wilmot EG, Sourij H, Smart CE, Jacobs PG, Bracken RM, Mader JK, Glucose management for exercise using continuous glucose monitoring (CGM) and intermittently scanned CGM (isCGM) systems in type 1 diabetes: position statement of the European Association for the Study of Diabetes (EASD) and of the International Society for Pediatric and Adolescent Diabetes (ISPAD) endorsed by JDRF and supported by the American Diabetes Association (ADA). - Diabetologia 2020 Dec
Tagougui S, Taleb N, Legault L, Suppère C, Messier V, Boukabous I, Shohoudi A, Ladouceur M, Rabasa-Lhoret R, A single-blind, randomised, crossover study to reduce hypoglycaemia risk during postprandial exercise with closed-loop insulin delivery in adults with type 1 diabetes: announced (with or without bolus reduction) vs unannounced exercise strategies. - Diabetologia 2020 Nov
Maréchal R, Ghachem A, Prud'Homme D, Rabasa-Lhoret R, Dionne IJ, Brochu M, Physical activity energy expenditure and fat-free mass: Relationship with metabolic syndrome in overweight or obese postmenopausal women. - Applied Physiology, Nutrition, And Metabolism = Physiologie Appliquee, Nutrition Et Metabolisme 2020 Oct 20
Taleb N, Quintal A, Rakheja R, Messier V, Legault L, Racine E, Rabasa-Lhoret R, Perceptions and expectations of adults with type 1 diabetes for the use of artificial pancreas systems with and without glucagon addition: Results of an online survey. - Nutrition, Metabolism, And Cardiovascular Diseases : NMCD 2020 Oct 17
Dr. Rabasa-Lhoret actively participates to knowledge dissemination and continuing medical education. He has given more than 300 conferences up to now.
ICI Première (Les années lumière) - Participants in clinical studies are key players in scientific research, but it is still difficult for researchers to find enough.
QUB Radio (Le retour de l'été) - Rémi Rabasa-Lhoret was interviewed about the clinical aspect of technology to help people living with diabetes.
QUB Radio (Le retour de l'été) - Rémi Rabasa-Lhoret explains the great importance of insulin for people with diabetes.
- J-A De Sève Foundation (research chair managed by IRCM)
- Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR)
- National Institute of Health (NIH, United States)
- Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation (Canada & international)
- Diabetes Canada
- Cystic Fibrosis Canada
- Cystic Fibrosis Foundation (United States)
- Société Francophone du Diabète (SFD)
- Fondation du grand Défi Pierre Lavoie, Corporation de rechercher et d’action sur les maladies héréditaires, Fondation pour la recherche médicale (scholarships for graduate students)
- Funds from pharmaceuticals companies for research initiated by the industry of y our research group.
- Donation from individuals or associations (Diabète Lanaudière, etc.)
Support biomedical research
Montreal Clinical Research Institute (IRCM)
110, des Pins Avenue West
Montréal, Québec H2W 1R7